Monday, October 3, 2011

Group Blog - Online Dating

What to think about online dating?  Some laugh at the idea that you can “order” a date, others see it as a viable way to meet other singles.  With our first post we would like to give you some facts and ideas about online dating then see what you guys have to say about it.  We found it interesting that online dating really started from a form of speed dating.  Still don’t know what we’re talking about ?  Anyone seen 40 Old Virgin?  Then you have definitely seen speed dating.  Whether you laugh or love the idea of online dating we bet everyone either has been involved or knows someone who has participated in some form of online dating.  Have you ever met a stranger on Facebook?  Maybe through a mutual friend, but if you have ever met someone on Facebook then you have online dated.  It has turned from a thought into a multimillion dollar industry in just a few years. For example, “Match.com net revenue reached $ 90.5m in Q1 2008. Revenue growth was driven by an 8% and 12% increase in international subscribers and revenue per subscriber, respectively, and 6% growth in revenue per subscriber domestically. Spark Networks reported Q1 revenue for jDate.com of $8.7m, an increase of 5% compared to the Q1 2007. Q1 revenue for General Market Networks (American Singles) was $2.6m, a decrease of 48% compared to Q1 2007.”
            There are some concerns today of the online dating industry collapsing due to the popularity of social networking. The main reason for this is because you get similar features when using social networking. For example, people meet each other everyday through Facebook via emails, instant messaging, and suggested people you may know. Facebook is free unlike Match.com where you have to pay over one hundred dollars for a six month package. We are sure you have seen a couple Facebook stalkers out there!  Not only is Facebook free, but other dating sites, like Plentyoffish, are free, causing other sites to lose money as well as traffic. The main advantage we see to using an online dating site that requires a payment, is the fact that some offer safety measures, such as background checks, as well as more filtered information on your perfect match! “Does Plentyoffish.com really represent a threat to the dating industry? Are many of your members also members of paid dating sites? Well I think it really depends on the market. [In] cities where there's a lot of wealth and a lot of money, I don't think Plentyoffish will have that deep of a market penetration but in other areas, for instance in Canada, Plentyoffish is by far the largest dating site. And Lava Life if you look at all the rankings, it's lost about 50% of its traffic in the last year.” Still not convinced to use online dating? Even celebrities, like Charlie Sheen, Halle Berry, and Jennifer Aniston, have dabbled in online dating before!
Jennifer Aniston


“Poor Jennifer Aniston has been so unlucky in love. She lost hubby Brad Pitt to that conniving wench Angelina Jolie. It seems that she has finally given up on reconciling with Pitt. This year it was reported that Aniston has hired a professional online matchmaker, Kelleher International, paying them six figures to help her find the love of her life. It has been reported that Aniston is so anxious to finally find Mr. Right she’d pay an agency a million bucks to help her. Here’s hoping she’s successful in her search and doesn’t ever cave in to take Brad back. You go, girl!”

SO, IS ONLINE DATING YOUR THING…?

References:
http://www.onlinepersonalswatch.com/news/2008/05/matchcom-revenu.html
http://www.dating-weblog.com/50226711/opw_interview_plentyoffish_ceo_markus_frind.php
http://anythinghollywood.com/2010/01/jennifer-aniston-has-joined-a-dating-site/

5 comments:

  1. I think that online dating is extremely important for the people that are really serious about it and may have previously had trouble finding love elsewhere. Personally, I don't favor online dating for myself because I would much rather face to face interaction and an opportunity to see the real live person. I understand, however that this is not the case for everyone. I had the opportunity to help a family friend create an account on match. com and I was baffled at the amount of questions and the overall process that she had to go through before her profile was created and her search began. I do understand that some people choose to find love via social media websites which is the same thing as online dating. One of my moms friends has had guys attempt to pick her up over facebook and i thought that was a bit low. But again, if that is their preference then thats totally up to them. My biggest concern is how can one determine if it truly is who they think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite the fact that online dating is becoming more and more prominent in today's society, no... I cannot see online dating ever being "my thing." I think that it is a good way to find a relationship if you are a passive, shy person, and you are looking for the same type. Go out and meet people, dont rely on such ominous sources as this to find people on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot see myself doing online dating being my "thing" because I have very skeptical of a lot of things. I think my stereotype about online dating would have to be older people, esp. divorced older people. I can barely online shop unless it books and that still scares me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think online dating can totally work. I have met people through other friends via facebook and I consider them good friends now and I can potentially see one as a future boyfriend/girlfriend. There is someone out there for everyone. I believe in soulmates.. and what if your solemate is in another state? how would you ever know he/she is there if you just settle with someone close to you. Many people do laugh at online dating, but I totally think it can work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally do not think I would ever participate in online dating. Online Dating can be very dangerous and I think people should be more cautious and aware of the dangers before getting involved with online dating. I feel like too many use these platforms to find their next victim. In the news, I have heard too many online dating stories end tragically to ever want to get involved. I feel like they only continue to get more and more dangerous. There are so many other ways to meet others, i do not think women should risk their life by pursuing online dating. Online predators seem to prey on the vulnerabilities of women seeking love. If you do decide to online date, I think it is really important you take the time to research and be informed of the dangers and be smart about the information you disclose about yourself to a complete stranger.

    ReplyDelete