Thursday, October 20, 2011

Is online dating safe?!

Since online dating has become more popular, it still sits in the back of peoples mind whether its actually safe to date online. Personally I have never online dated and the idea behind it leaves me to wonder, like everyone else, if its safe. I believe the way you go about online dating has a huge impact on the safety of it. There are simple safety precautions such as making sure your computer is secure, finding a reputable site and creating a separate email account that help protect you. I have known a couple of people who have online dated and it has been successful for them. One friend met a guy online and they decided to finally meet. Well instead of meeting one-on-one, they decided to make it a group outing, which provided a safer environment. Neither knew the other person, so they figured by meeting in a group, it would be less risky. They are still together to this day. Of course, you don't always have to meet in a group setting, there are always other precautions you can take and sites you can reference to make the first meeting a success. I found one site with very useful tips for safe online dating and hope if you do online date....you take the time to look over the site. I thought it was very informative.

http://www.onlinedatingsafetytips.com/GettingStarted.cfm

7 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about giving one of those popular online dating sites a try, but I'm a little sceptical about how safe they are, and I'm also wondering if you can only use these sites if your trying to get married, I mean what if your just interested in a posible committed relationship and your not in a hurry to get married you just want to relax and see where things go, is that allowed on those sites your not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think online dating sites are as safe as you make them. If you make sure to only meet with people who have uploaded full body shots, have a completed profile, etc. and make sure to meet in public places, the chance of something bad happening are smaller, in my opinion.

    Jean, I think most of these websites are geared to those that do want to get married, or at least that is how the commercials make it look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think online dating is safe as long as you use common sense. First, one should just chat with them online and get a feel for who they are and see if any red flags or inconsistencies appear. If they ask you to wire money to Nigeria the second time you both chat, not good.

    And once both parties decide to meet, meet in a public place like a restaurant or mall, not in a back alley. And make sure a friend or a relative is aware of who you are meeting and where. So you don't end up on a milk carton as missing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that online dating can be dangerous just like anything else, but it is up to that person to take the necessary precautions to ensure their own safety.

    My uncle actually found his fiance from online dating, and it was actually a person that lived on the total opposite side of the country. But again he did take the steps to ensure his safety.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Online dating in my opinion is not safe enough. And if someone has decided to do it he or she should be cautious enough especially on giving out personal information. And if you have decide to meet the other person have a friend with you so that if anything happens you have someone to protect you or be a witness in that case.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think online dating is somewhat safe, since they match you based on your personality, taste & preferences, etc. There are many precautions you can take, such as setting up new email address just for the online dating purposes. Like the blog said, maybe set a group meeting to avoid any risks, and so on..I believe people are going to find ways to online dating without being in any danger. I would only suggest to get to know the person a little bit better online before engaging in any time of "relationship"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also have never utilized online dating but I whole heartily agree with you. Some people can be so naive when it comes to people now a days and end up in terrible situations. Your safety definitely depends on the way the you approach online dating. At the same time there is only so much you can do with the amount of technology that is out there now a days. I think if someone really wants to find out your personal information that person can. Or maybe I just watch way too many lifetime movies.

    ReplyDelete